RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electric Dilemma !
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electric Dilemma !

Hi,

Your problem with entry into e-flight is a common one. There are many choices, expense levels, and much to learn.

Buying a smaller, less expensive package is a good way to get some entry level experience into electric R/C. There are, however, many many choices. I would first find a place that ships internationally (like Hobby Lobby) and then pick a product that has proven success.

I think you can convert your 50" PC-9 to electric with a more cost effective geared R/C car motor initially. Save the brushless solution for another time when you are certain.

An example would be to use a geared Kyosho Endoplasma motor for $20 sold at Tower Hobbies. The Endoplasma is much better than a canned 05 or Speed 600 motor and it is the same size as a Speed 600 motor. You can gear this motor with a $13 Great Planes GD-600 gearbox and prop your plane accordingly for about 35 amps.

You can buy different pinion gears for the GD-600 gearbox and I recommend a higher reduction ration than 2.5:1 so but the 12T pinion gear for $3.79 and you can spinn an APC 11x8 e-prop.

Use a high current ESC (Electronic Speed Control) like the Great Planes C-50 for $50.

The 10-cell Great Planes Sanyo 1900SCR 10-Cell Thrust Pack for $45 will get you started safely but their are better capacity packs available on the market today.

The main thrust of my example here is that you can indeed buy a more cost effective power system from a single place like Tower Hobbies for converting for glow plane. After you have succeeded, you can upgrade various parts for increasing power or flight duration.

Good luck!