RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need UAV designer ASAP!
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Need UAV designer ASAP!

Interesting video.

The job sounds like a lot of fun!

Back when I was younger and had to work for a living doing systems engineering, I wrote the SEMP for a UAV to meet the US Army specs. It was tons of fun and I got to play with some serious top of the line equipment. It did involve lots of long nights and weekends, but it was worth it. The project was completed in six months and they are still flying them in a couple of countries, but the US Army never bought any.

There was one interesting requirement that we never could get cleared up. The UAVhad to be backpack portable and able to survive for 3 hours under 30' of water. I thought those requirements were a joke, probably a cut-and-paste error. We did not even try to meet the underwater requirement.In order to sink our UAV the soldier would need to weigh about 150 lbs and be made of lead. I did make a statement that those Army troops must be a lot tougher than they used to be. I never saw any that could stay under water for three hours.

Anyway,I got on the team because I flew RC planes.The project was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. Like we needed an aeronautical engineer on the team, but didn't have one. We also did not have a "real" pilot and boy did we need one.

Judging from the comments I see on here, there are at least 100,000 people that meet all of aeroanalysis' needs. Except maybe the relocation requirement.

I'm sure aeroanalysisfound a replacement by now and the job is not open.