RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is there any spinner which does not get ugly marks from starter?
Old 08-11-2003, 06:48 AM
RBacio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any spinner which does not get ugly marks from starter?

None of my spinners, plastic or aluminum, have unsightly starter cone marks. Seems kind of trivial, but I take pride in the fact that I seem to be one of the few that don't have this issue. Proper application of the starter to the spinner goes a long way.

Here's how I do it...

1. ( NO BRAINER)
Ensure starter RPM is MAX prior to "Tapping" the spinner. This ensures that ALL of the starter torque is transfered to the spinner before the engines compression says "stop right there!" to the spinner while the starter keeps right on going.

2. (NO BRAINER)
Ensure the prop is turned all of the way back just past the last compression stroke. This effectively gives the prop a "running" start so that it can power through the next comprssion stroke.

3. (NO BRAINER)
Ensure that the spinner and cone are properly aligned before "Tapping" the spinner. The more surface contact between the spinner and cone will increase your odds of gripping and not slipping.

4. (NO BRAINER)
Of course always use the proper sized cone for the spinner.

5. (NO BRAINER)
Always ensure that your starter battery has a good charge and that your starter torque is rated for at least the size motor you are attempting to start. Seems like your starter or battery always lacks the juice to get that prop over the hump but just enough juice to keep that cone turning.

6. (BRAINER)
I think the single most effective means of keeping the marks off of the spinner (at least for me) is keep the spinner and cone clean. At the end of each flying day, when I am cleaning up my birds, I always give the spinner a good wipe down w/alcohol and wipe out the starter cone. Alcohol will clean off any minor marks and won't leave any residue on the spinner that will prevent the cone from gripping the next time you go to start, and wiping out the cone will also get out any debris that will prevent a good grip.

Anyways...take it for what it's worth