RCU Forums - View Single Post - Early RC Models Debolt Champ build
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 02:28 PM
JT Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Early RC Models Debolt Champ build

That is so funny Bob! The photo of your plane IS on the kit box. HOWEVER, I have noticed it once or twice elsewhere in this forum or another. By the way I really like the way you trimmed her with the red, but it must have been a delicate job to cut it just right to make those fine curves especially on the tail feathers! I have a feeling my rendition will have more straight lines. I never had the pleasure of meeting Hal Debolt, but have built a few of his designs i.e. Rebel and Pursuit. He certainly was a gentleman and seemingly an avid modeller most of his life.

I am quite impressed with the engineering of the Champ kit Bob. Seems well thought out and everything fits spot on! And how nice the laser cutting is compared to the old (crushed) die cutting. I also liked the way the fuse sides on the Champ had the position of the formers already scribed on them ao it easy to position them correctly. Nice job! So far the wood quality has been very good, as well.

I did make it to the LHS this afternoon, so am stocked up with glue, etc. So perhaps tomorrow will start on the tail feathers. Hey this was supposed to take up the winter months. What am I doing! I am anxious to see the final result though.

Have you guys ever used thread for hinges. I use the hinges for ca most of the time, but have on occassion used the heavier waxed thread variety with excellent results. Method: Stiffen the balsa first with thin ca. Drill a half dozen or so tiny holes on each side of the surface. Thread together using the figure 8 method, and seal ends with ca. Gives a nice retro look, as well.

So long for now.....JT