RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on which heli to choose
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 12:19 PM
CrysisRedemption

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need advice on which heli to choose

ORIGINAL: CrysisRedemption

ORIGINAL: ATVAlliance

I have an EXI 450 V2 SE and put a cam on it.

It does "OK"...but not nearly as good as the cam does on my planes.

Even though the heli "appears" to be smooth when looking at it spool up and hover...there is a LOT of unseenvibrations that make the video image grainy. I was playing around with dampening the mount by adding/subtracting foam between the mount and the canopy. I never got it "just right" before winter hit here and stopped me from going further. Dont get me wrong...its definitely "watchable", but I wasnt aware of how good of a video the camera makes until I put it on a plane.

I have seen some videos that looked good from onboard cams. Not sure how they did it...but just be aware that you will probably have to "tinker" with it to get it good...and Im not sure (at least the mini DV cam I have) that I will ever get it "picture pefect" clear.

If I think of it...I'll upload one of the better videos I took with my setup and let you see for yourself.

In the meantime, if your video looks like it has diagonal lines moving up and down...that means your mount it too tight. If it gets really "grainy" looking, that means your mount is too loose. The happy medium, well I havent found it yet.

Yeah, the video camera i'm getting is a gopro hd camera it takes 1080p video and it takes awesome quality. From what I learned from watching the videos they build a mount and surround it in foam padding or they mount it with a gopro mount and surround it foam padding.I heard a 450 can lift up to 250 grams and the gopro is only 85 grams so it should be good .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kzfWsyJdkQheres a video of the quality. that is a trex 500 but ive seen 450's lift it just fine, i picked that video because its one of my favorites.heres one with a 450 in it, its not hd but still pretty good.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_CleSje5KY