RCU Forums - View Single Post - Open discussion on IR battling
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 07:26 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Open discussion on IR battling

Very good thread and a lot of viable ideas, however until the mindset changes and shifts into realism mode, I don't see this happening. Tanks should be geared to reflect the true speed and maneuverability of a particular tank. Turret traverse speed and range of a particular gun are just as important to realism. A KT and T-34 or Pz III slugging it out at the same distance is totally unrealistic. A Tiger, KT or Super Pershing should be able to sit back and pick off enemy tanks from long range and let the lighter Pz III, T-34 or Shermans maneuver and get close to get an effective shot. From what I have seen, IR "tankers" want a KT that can roll across the battlefield at totally unrealistic speeds, do a 90 degree turn, slam immediately into reverse and fire on the move, hitting 1 or 2 tanks without slowing down. A realistic setup as your idea whould result in everyone running KTs or bigger.

Similar ideas have been brought up before, and I have always advocated a two man tank, or tanks working as a team with vision limited to ground level. (As opposed to peeking over hills and buildings to locate the enemy and sneak in behind him.) This would bring much more realism and require the implementaion of actual tank tactics. Ie; attacking a Tiger would require 2 or 3 Shermans or lighter gunned tanks working as a team to take it out.....considering of course, the main guns were limited to the actual capabilities. The tank's flank should reduced to a much lower protection rate, which would cut back tanks running across the battlefield with the gun traversed over the side, bouncing off trees and dirt mounds and firing on the move.

I got wiped out at Danville with my Super Pershing, because I ran it like a tank and picked off enemy tanks at a distance with accurate fire as it was intended to do, but then I couldn't move without being picked off by a gang of tanks.

A realistic setup would make for a much better IR system but then, the tanks also have to be operated in a manner consistant with the possibilities of the actual tank being represented. Maybe someday, but the sports car operation midset must be divorced from tank operation. Gun limitations, speed reduction, armor protection and battlefield vision all have be implimented.