RCU Forums - View Single Post - good imac plane?
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2003, 10:18 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default good imac plane?

I wasn't aware that Aeroworks made a "KIT" anymore. Seems they have gone to ARFs; just like everyone else.

I hope like heck that the Midwest Extra 300S is a good Imac plane. I have about 4 or 5 months of sweat and elbow grease into one. Not to mention the $1500 or so that I've spent on the thing so far. Most people seem to think its a decent flyer for a first gasser over 25%.

There are a few NIB kits of the MW 300S here in the for sale forums. If my wife would let me spend another $400-- I'd have another Extra and an 80" MW Cap 232.

I'd probably go pretty extreme with the weight savings tricks in the Midwest planes; if I built another one. There's a lot of unnessecary plywood in the fuselage. You could discard a bunch of it and just use balsa longerons for the tops and bottoms of the fuselage sides. Also the turtledeck and hatch could be sheeted with 1/6" balsa instead of plywood skins. I'd keep the engine box strong and use extra triangle stock in there- expecially if you plan to use a gasser.

All in all; a pretty easy plane to build. Lots of the typical sanding and stuff you run into when building a kit- but nothing really bad about the kit.