RCU Forums - View Single Post - What kind of fuel to use?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 AM
ameyam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What kind of fuel to use?

Capflyboy05,

to add to what everyone has replied, if you are simply running the Enya 45 .46 size 2-stroke ABC glow engine and you dont want to spend too much, you can simply even run plain castor fuel (18-20% castor and remaining methanol).

Nitro is an oxidiser- it provides oxygen for combustion when there isint enough taken in by the engine. It simply means that adding 5-10% nitro to 2C fuel makes the idle more reliable. But for your size engine its may not be necessary

Now regarding synthetic- it gives a cleaner running engine with less "gunk". But since synthetic lubricant has a low flash point, it will burn off easier. Meaning if you run too lean there is possibility of wear. For this reason, most dont suggest plain synthetic, but instead a mix of synthetic and castor. But you can run plain castor, I did for several years on a 55AX

For 4 cycle engines, there being more moving parts, plain castor or plain synthetic is undesirable. Most use a lubricant with a blend of the two e.g. I use Klotz-100 which has a 80-20 synthetic-castor blend in the lubricant and I use 20% lubricant in the fuel. Also, for 4-stroke engines, since the power is produced every alternate stroke, some nitro in the fuel ensures the engine does not cut at idle, so I use 10% nitro.

For the sake of simplicity, I use the same fuel in both 2C and 4C engines.

It is really quite simple after you understand why each component is required. Hope I didnt give any wrong advice, please correct if I did

Ameyam