RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/6 Scale Pilot Figures.
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 07:27 PM
tankgirlfuzzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Scale Pilot Figures.

Yeah it's about time the RC community started to talk to the big model makers like Dragon! Great idea Ty!

Dragon has made a fair amount of pilots in the past few years but they are almost all German, and they are never complete. Usually no parachute, wrong or no flight helmet, never an oxygen mask, and they've abandoned updating their Luftwaffe fighter pilots (most are bomber pilots now). The only Allied pilots recently are US bomber pilots/gunners, and we know how many 1/6 scale bombers are being built.

I used to bereally into1/6modeling/customizing before Igot into RC warbirds (still dabble from time to time), and my dream was (and is) to finally fly a warbird in true 1/6 scale so I could fit a pilot in and have cool dioramas in the pits! Now that I'm finally proficient enough to pull the trigger on a bigger planethe pilots have disappeared. I've been trying to collect the pilots that appeal to me on e-bay etc. but the costs are now pretty high. Plus, they're not always that accurate for what you need.

I find it interesting how some of the scale nuts in these forums obsess over every rivet and dimension and painting details in their planes, but will happily throw in any ol' 1/6 figure from the wrong theater just because it's the right country. (like a Luftwaffepilot from North Africa in a BoB Me-109 or Reichs defense FW190) To me, the uniform details of a pilot are just as important as any other cockpit or exterior detail, but it often seems like an afterthought to others. Is it the right helmet or oxygen mask? Was that tunic/flightsuit in use at that particular time? To me these things require just as much research as whether the landing gear is scale or the exhaust stacks are the right ones for that mark. Oftentimes you'll find that you can kitbash the right uniform parts from internet dealers (or e-bay) to get the right mix, but I agree that options are extremely limited.

It really stinks that choices are so limited. Most of us don't want to learn sculpting or sewing to have a scale pilot! (No, I don't sew!)

I really hope to see more crossover between the two hobbies in the future. There are amazingly talented people on both sides, and they could learna ton from each other.

Here are some examples of what I used to do:

I custom built/modified this Schwimmwagento be RC, then painted and weathered it.

The tank is RC too!