RCU Forums - View Single Post - More Radio Advise
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 AM
JimmyZep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: More Radio Advise

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

There's nothing "wrong" with the 4 channel radio listed above, but when you go to sell it when you outgrow it there's a rude awakening. The transmitter will be worth about $20 to someone who wants it for a buddy box. The receiver might bring $10, and the servos about $8 each.

Another, albeit more expensive option is this Spektrum unit.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tem-w-o-Servos

For $200 you can get a radio that has everything you need until you get into serious aerobatics or complicated scale models. You'll also need basic servos, so add $40 more to that. If you ever decide you need more, currently this until will bring $80-$100 used without the receiver. But many of us never move beyond sport flying, so you may never need another radio until you wear this one out.

So I don't see the point of starting with such a limited system. It will cost you more money, it is less capable, and it can't grow with you. I do understand that we RC'ers suffer from gadgetitis sometimes and buy more than we need, but on this topic the extra dough for a computerized system gives you so much. To put a new flyer using a radio that is essentially outdated technology makes no sense. It reminds me of when I was learning to hunt as a kid and guys would hand the 10 year old a single shot .410 or .22 because he "needs to start with the basics." The actual truth is that the beginner needs to start with every advantage he can get, and better performing equipment does have an impact on your success in the hobby.

Well said.

Jimmy