RCU Forums - View Single Post - On the value of moderators
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2003, 04:59 PM
pinball-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the value of moderators

Again, you guys are focusing on the person (me), and not the message. Here's Marc's vision for RCU:

RCUniverse.com is dedicated to developing and maintaining a friendly online community, where members of all ages and backgrounds feel relaxed and comfortable.
Nobody has explained why this shouldn't be so for the AMA discussions. You may disagree, but I maintain the lack of moderation (which certainly could apply to one of my posts) creates an atmosphere where personal attacks proliferate, to nobody's benefit. When a discussion about a rule, or insurance, or whatever, descends into attacks on the character of the poster, nobody wins.

Jim, I forgave you long ago. Probably, your biggest crime is being witty, which can be misunderstood on the Internet. More, I've learned from you (and my poll) that about 50% of RCU members think less (or a lot less) of anonymous posters. That was something I was totally unaware of. For this reason, as soon as I can think of a new handle, pinball will be leaving. Good luck with your campaign.

J_R, out of 498 posts by pinball (and hundreds before in my "real name" handle), I have deleted 2. The first was where I had mis-read a question and my answer did not apply. The 2nd is the one you mention. I deleted it because I thought it was unfair to Jim to print a newgroup post from years ago. My post was about anonymity and, on reflection, I didn't think the quote was necessary or fair. I thought I was doing the ethical and responsible thing to delete it and to post a note as to what I had done and why. Nobody has said that Jim didn't write the material quoted.