RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jim LeRoy Pitts Bulldog - Take 2!
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 12:07 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jim LeRoy Pitts Bulldog - Take 2!

Finished stripping the fuse and stabs of all covering last night, and unmounted the engine, pulled the tank, and all the electonics and radio gear.  It's pretty much a stripped barebones fuse now, nothing but wood.  

Also pulled the base out of the cockpit, since my JL figure is too tall, it'll have to be recessed a bit to hold the figure.

Also found that RC Guys offers a sliding canopy for their Pitts.  Since I know for a fact their standard canopy fits this bird, I can't see why the slider wouldn't as well.  So that's definitely going on the list of features that will be added, if for no other reason than the fact that Jim ALWAYS slid his back and gave the crowd a wave or a thumbs up as he was taxiing by.

(Both too large to display here)

Also tracked down this thread over on The Biplane Forum with some great detail shots of the Pitts slave rods.  I've always thought those slave rods at the LE of the ailerons were a pretty distinguishable feature, and would be cool to model.  That thread and those pictures make it seem like it should be fairly simple, in concept anyway, so I'm going to give that a try.

And finally, just got off the phone with Ralph Cunningham, he'll be working his magic on the G62.  Past experience suggests that what I'll get back is a significantly lighter rock solid beast of a motor.  Can't wait!  I figure I'll send the motor along to him within a few days, once I sort out exactly what kind of distance I'll want from motorbox to spinner backplate, etc etc.

So...off to the drawing board to prototype some "scale" slave rods!