RCU Forums - View Single Post - Everything Radial Engines
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 05:26 AM
Detlef Kunkel

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Everything Radial Engines

ORIGINAL: fredo

That's exactly the place I'm talking about. If these things are screwed into each other they need a correct orientation as I mentioned before. As you can see ,the bottom part is bolted onto the housing and the upper part has a rocker arms connected. In order to make a correct alignment I think it needs to be fixed with some substance. Loktite? Sealing paste? Something that sets,seals and withstands high temperatures.
Hi friends,

I like to join in here from time to time because I find your experience and engine talk very interesting..
I did not read all 200+ pages, so I apologize if this question has been answered before.

When you screw together a cylinder head and a liner / cylinder, you would normally not adjust the final angle ororientation of the head with some cement or glue on the big fine pitch thread.
Rather you screw them together tightly, with sealing or without, with heat or without (depending on your design) and THEN you machine the bottom flange of the cylinder ( or liner). Both are usually not disassembled later, but a pair for a lifetime. Replaced as a complete group of parts in case of repair / damage.
Big radials often have round flanges at the bottom and use a lot of bolts with clamps to hold the cylinder to the crankcase; adjustment is done by some templates while assembling the engine.
When you machine the flange ( with drilling holes etc) such adjustment is not nessecary. Simply bolt it on the crankcase like normal.
A leaking engine at this special connection is a serious problem. High pressure, high temperatures, and maybe different materials giving different thermal expansion. You cannot add a sealing ( you would lose the angle adjustment as said above) and also lose compression. One chance might be to try to tight seal the big fine pitch thread.
A demanding task.