RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1980 TOC Laser 200 by Ulery
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 PM
mradcliff
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1980 TOC Laser 200 by Ulery

Tony,
Yes this is the 82 model. I finished 7th I believe just behind Don Lowe who was stoked at 6th but upset he didn't make the finals. Tony I flew in the 80 TOC and actually flew Deans 88" Laser with the Cline drive and on OS 90 (my pic with Leo Loudenslauger). The reason I flew Deans airplane is that one week before the TOC our 88" Laser crashed while practicing at home (battery). Dad & I drove nearly all night after work one evening to Springfield and picked up Deans airplane because he wasn't flying in the TOC that year. I believe he had Air Force job commitments and couldn't go so he kindly loaned me his airplane. Don't remember where I finished right off hand. Then in 84 I wasn't flying anymore so Dean took my big Laser as a back up. So now 29 years later it's back in the air with electric. It's really a nice flying airplane I just haven't got the combination figured out yet for a long enough powerful enough flight. Hopefully I'll get it. Great sharing memories with you Tony.
Mark

ORIGINAL: TonyF

Hi Mark,

Are you sure that was 1982? Because I think it was 1980. My first TOC was 1982 and I placed 4th with a 100" Laser. I don't think you flew in that event, but I may be wrong. 1978 was the first TOC using scale aerobatic models. You flew the Super-Fli and Dave Brown flew the Zlin 50. A number of USA guys flew the Ed Keck Spinks. I think Dean Koger had the first 88" Ulery Laser with a Chapman or Cline .90 belt drive. I do remember the first 100" span Ulery Laser with the .90 drive and it didn't have enough power. After it crashed when a battery disconnected Wayne built the smaller one. 1980 I think was the first time the 100" Ulery Lasers were used at the TOC, mostly with the Tartans.

Just wondering!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jh14855.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	1597622   Click image for larger version

Name:	dy80438.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	480.9 KB
ID:	1597623