RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 09:48 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Not a Waco either.
This is harder than I thought but there have been so many aerobatic trainers in the world...

An advanced trainer

1) most WW2 fighter pilots of the country of origin honed their skills on it
2) the first test flight was flown by a woman
3) early examples used inline engines but later it was replaced with a radial. At the same time, the fuselage was shortened a little
4) it was exported to many countries, and built in two countries outside the country of origin
5) in addition to training, it was also used for competitions.
6) in, at least, a couple of countries it served in Air Forces until late 1960s
7) many are still flying in civilian hands
8) in 1960s, a few new aircraft were built in an attempt to restart production for the civilian market. An air force selling their remaining aircraft saturated the market at that time

9) it is a single-seater. I believe some USA based owners managed to squeeze in a passenger seat
10) in mid and late 1930s, its maneuverability impressed crowds at air shows on a couple of continents

11) after WW2, availability of new engines and engine parts became ... problematic. At least many civilian owners went for alternative installations: alternative radials, Lycoming and Continental boxers, even a turbine (ugly as %ยค&!)
12) I suppose it is now better known for its aerobatic capabilities than as trainer

13) a picture from 1938 (civilian registered aircraft)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83848.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1598903