RCU Forums - View Single Post - PEST, Post Electra Stress Trauma
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PEST, Post Electra Stress Trauma

I have been an electric flight curmudgeon for ages. Just could not bring myself to get away from the stench of burning castor. Not to mention ye olde flip and cuss.

I owe this all to Carl Goldberg models because nearly 25 years ago I tried to enter the world of silent flight by purchasing an Electra “powered” sailplane. Yes folks, it gave me PEST, Post Electra Stress Trauma.

Back then their idea of power was an 05 sized can motor with a crude servo operated on off switch control and a 6 sub C NiCad racing car battery. Built the plane, tested the motor set up. It ran and switched on and off.

Went to the field and hand launched. It flew, kind of. Would barely maintain straight and level but absolutely would not climb. Then I tried things like a new wood prop. Flew a bit faster but still no climb. 7 cell battery pack, same result. Still the same after putting in a much more powerful car racing can motor. (That sucker screamed.) Okay, maybe a blip of climb then.

So I lost the battle and my PEST became firmly entrenched. BTW the Electra made a fine glider when I pulled all that stuff out, rebalanced it and shot it up with a High Start.

But have finally gotten my nerve back. Friends at the field are flying electric and their planes do just fine. Have an ARF Kadet Seniorita and bought a set up for it with EFlite 46 power motor, EFlite 60 amp ESC and LiPo. Mr. Electric at my LHS has talked me through it and I will soon have the goodies fitted in my ‘Rita.

Keep you posted. Hope I have found the cure for PEST, just wait 25 years for the technology.

Tom