RCU Forums - View Single Post - Holy Smoke revived
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 06:03 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Holy Smoke revived

ORIGINAL: Roary m

I would like to suggest two things; first, if the engine will handle it, a 10/8 prop. Secondly, if you haven't already done so is to bend the outrigger gears so that the ship is facing slightly nose up. Will make it easier on ground handling and take off.
I cut the header about a 1/2" longer than normal on a hunch that I needed more diameter and less pitch for pulling this fatter airfoil then than say a Diamond Dust or a Whiplash. The tad longer pipe will drop the top end, but give it more grunt to get it up and go after a near stop it the sky acrobatics, something you wouldn't do with the other mentioned (speed)deltas.....those can get locked in a terminal flat spin(Whiplash R.I.P 07').

I never tached the MAS 10X7 S-2, it just sounded so good, yet when I put the APC 9X9 on I had to lean it out a tad and it did rev out about 1K more. I did tach the 9X9 at 16,000 rich, that's about 500 low from a good engine with the right header length on 15%.
I think that a 10X8 will load the engine too far off this engines power band, even with a longer header. Next time out I will tach the 10X7 and try an APC 10X6, 9X8 and some pre-cut headers, that is, if I don't have too many chit-chat lookie loo's, I don't multitask well. I have a feeling I'll end up with the first prop and header length, one has to at least try tho.

It presently has a nose up stance, and I was actually going to take some of it out to get it to stick to the ground better. Unless you grease the landing, it has that aggravating, oscillating bounce like a high wing trainer with main gears that have squatted. I have a shorter nose gear on hand, but before I do that, I'm going the move the CG further aft, perhaps a bit of both will git-er dun.