RCU Forums - View Single Post - After your trainer, how long did it take you to fly a war bird?
Old 05-21-2011, 02:29 PM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: After your trainer, how long did it take you to fly a war bird?

once upon a time, we had a visit at the field from a guy, who announced had built a a Mick Reeves 80" span hurricane, and had fitted a webra 91 to it, he wanted to learn to fly on it, here we go, we all thought, well, i defferance to the guy, i went round, and looked at it,

it was stunning,, i could not fault, in ANY way, apart from ballast

I test flew it the week after, he bought another tranny, and a buddy box lead, and i proceeded to let him fly it round, it was a testamant to the model, that is behaved beutifully, eventually, about 2 months later, he took off, flew round, did a few safe rolls, loops, few low landing passes, and did a near perfect landing, then he turned to me, looking very pleased with hiself then he told me that his much older brother had been killed late in the war in a hurricane, and he had finished this one in his squadrons markings, he then thanks me, said he had done what he wanted to do, presented me with all the gear, and i never saw him again, true story, thought i would share,

point is, it depends how you want to learn to fly your warbird, bigger birds fly ever so much better than smaller birds, hangar 9 ones fly like sports low wingers, if you buddy with a good pilot, then there is no reason, if he wants to give you the time, that you should not transition to a more simple warbird as soon as you feel sure of yourself you have a duty of care to your fellow flyers, dont over cook it, or try it yourself until you are at ease with yourself, ok?