RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ribs for tapered wings
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ribs for tapered wings

I use Rhino 3D, but I'm sure this process works with other 3D cad packages as well. Draw the root and tip ribs. and separate them by 1/2 wing span or the length of the half wing. rotate the tip rib for wash out if desired. Now skin the wing. In Rhino it is "sweep two rails" Inow have what looks like the finished wing. Ithen make a series of slices at the desired rib positions. The edge curve for those slices is your finished airfoil at that point. Once you get the hang of this, go back to the two ribs and now draw in the spar location on them, 3D the spars. Ilike to make them a bit higher so they protrude from the skin. This makes it easy to delete them from the finished product. Ioffset the rib slices by the thickness of the LE sheeting and any cap strips so the drawing is the exact ribs to cut. If anyone is interested, I'll send them a copy of a glider wing I just did for a fellow club member. I can send it either as a Rhino 3DM file or as a DXF. I'm sure the layers will stay intact and youcan walk through it. process Just PMme for the file and I'll be happy to answer questions about it.

Don