RCU Forums - View Single Post - My first speed plane attempt now with video
Old 06-09-2011, 05:04 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first speed plane attempt now with video

ORIGINAL: iron eagel
Maiden flight was this afternoon and the launch was very interesting it really torqued hard left on launch. I am going to have to come up with a better method than just tossing it into the air...
I need to tone down the elevator a bit it's a bit twitchy in pitch, ailerons seem ok though so I think I'll use some expo on the elevator function.
Yup, that can be a problem with a plane with power and a thin airfoil, the prop power torques it and the low air speed over thing wings gives little correction control. It got a bit exciting I take it? The good news is you saved it! You got the first launch (the rough one) out of the way, the rest should be easier. Next time try starting with the right wing low and the plane pitch up a bit. Do not start the flight in expo, you will need the controls "tight" and responsive at launch, once it starts haulin'a, then switch to expo. Expo at launch can lead to a vicious over correcting cycle that could end badly, fast servos or not.

Other hints: Avoid extra help in your ears, perhaps only a spotter. Next 5 or 6 launches should be into a light head wind, no wind is more difficult. Launch into wind at one o'clock,(wind is coming from 12'o'clock) that way it wont end up at nine o'clock and in trouble. Don't over think it, chill.
Once you get the hang of it it will be a piece of cake and a launch dolly or catapult is just more stuff to haul around.

Have fun!
Karl