RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Koverall and Minwax Polycrylic
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Sig Koverall and Minwax Polycrylic

ORIGINAL: crash bandicoute

SHOW OFF... [img][/img] some people make things just look sooo easy. after you put the fabric over the structure with the stix-it stuff and that dries, how do you get the rest of the fabric to shrink down?
Yup. After it's all stuck down and the polycrylic is dry - just use a regular covering iron on low-medium heat and shrink the fabric. Works just like monkeykote.

does it work with a heat gun just like monokote or those type covering materials?
Lone Star Charles told me to use an iron because a heat gun blows hot air everywhere - where a covering iron is concentrated heat and ONLY where you want it. I used an iron for the entire process, from sealing to shrinking. Worked perfect.

i'm scared to try it, as people at the club buy BARF's or use the plastic film covering, and know nothing about the fabric and paint finishes.

I was scared too. Don't be. It's more work than plastic covering. More steps and more time. But it's not really hard. It only looks difficult. It's not. Just more steps and more time involved between the steps.

I did a bunch of reading here and on another forum. Figured I had the basics down, but was still a little worried so I started this thread. Thanks to a few guys here and a lot of reading - I think it turned out pretty darn good for my first time ever using any kind of fabric covering.

It's cheap as all get out. A 5 foot x 10 foot piece of Koverall costs a couple bucks more than a single 6 foot roll of monkeykote. 3 times the fabric for the same money. The polycrylic in a pint can was $9 and the brush was $2.50. Most of us have spray paint lying around. I've been flying and building for only 12yrs. I got tons of rattle cans from past projects. I don't want to add it up, but I'll venture a guess it's 1/2 the price of plastic covering when you're done and ready to go flying.