RCU Forums - View Single Post - JR 50Mhz Rx. compatible W/ 53Mhz crystals ?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 AM
tadawson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR 50Mhz Rx. compatible W/ 53Mhz crystals ?

The bottom line, as I recall, is that the initial freqs. used were on 53, and due to confilicts, the band plans were modified to give RC use access of a "protected" set of freqs, and thus the 50MHz stuff came into being, and 53 was essentially abandoned for RC. As a HAM licensee, if the 53MHz RX has coils that will allow enough range to retune to 50MHz, then you can legally do so. If you need to modify the 53MHz stuff to run on 50MHz, then you can also legally do so. I know on Berg stuff, the mods to go from 72MHz to 50MHz are not all that extensive, so 53 to 50 ought to be a walk in the park . . .

Not having a schematic for either the 50 or 53 JR to know what (if anything) is different component wise between the two, I can't tell you specifics, but it would not surprise me much if they were identical with the exception of tuning and labeling . . . So open one of each freq. of the same model, and compare components - it should be easy to see any diffs!

Oh, and considering the current band plan, I think you would be best served to put everything on 50, and not 53 . . .

- Tim

ORIGINAL: CarPainter

I think we are experiancing a little bit of topic drift here. I started this thread to learn more about the recievers JR made for the 50 and 53 Mhz bands. I didn't start it to debate the merits of the ham bands, or to justify my use of them.

I was told that the 50 and 53 Mhz systems were not in production at the same time, and that the recievers are identical except for the printing on the outside. I have also heard that they are different. I am not very comfortable tweaking with radio gear, but I have friends who are very good at it.

Thank you for your intrest and information about this topic. I am interested to learn more.