RCU Forums - View Single Post - Got a deal - a Monster Beetle!
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 08:54 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got a deal - a Monster Beetle!

ORIGINAL: Dmon1996

I got a real deal - a Monster Beetle!

Ok, doesn't sound that fantastic so far. But I got it for $30. Not bad, but it gets better.... came with an old Hilux pistol grip radio and two receivers that actually work. And a spare Monster Beetle for parts! And 3 sets of tires and wheels. And a bunch of other junk and crap and stuff and such, all in a Rubbermaid tote.

Still doesn't sound like anything worth bragging about I guess. Well, I spent the evening disassembling and cleaning and reassembling and the two makes one that is in great shape. Bonuses include full bearings in one chassis, various spare parts new in the bag (like original speed controls like I'll ever use them!) and a Realistic 1980's era battery charger. Oh, and a Thorne ball diff to boot! Yeah, I said it came with a fully functional, like new Thorne ball diff in one of the chassis's. Yup.... I just about crapped myself. Oh, and to top it off it also has (in new running shape) a Speedworks Monster Mash motor to boot- talk about cashing in on nostalgia performance parts....

I always wanted a Monster Beetle or Blackfoot when I was a kid. I had bought the Subaru Brat when I first started out (same chassis), but soon got tired of the RS380 and converted it over to a Frog. But I dreamed of these parts, and always wanted to have to big wheels of a ''4x4'' like the Monster Beetle.... I have had T-Maxxs and now have a Savage X as well as a Terra Crusher with an Axial .32 in it, but to get this simple little Monster Beetle is like a comic collector finding Superman #1 or Star Wars with the green Darth Vader at a garage sale. I don't mean to come across as bragging, but for me this is like winning the lottery and who better to share my news with than folks like you who can truly appreciate how special today turned out. And I am on vacation at home this coming week, so I am going to have fuuuuuuuun!

Thanks for listening.
Nice! Do you have any pics of your find?

I know how it is finding something cool for cheap from garage sales or thrift shops. It's an awesome feeling.