RCU Forums - View Single Post - Static Servo Setup using DX7
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 08:55 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Static Servo Setup using DX7

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

I'm setting the throws of my Aeroworks Edge 540T. Da ''book'' days that the aileron throws are different up & down (2 servos separate channels). Elevator throws are different too (single servo). Aileron low-n-hi rates differ by 42%. Rudder low-n-hi diff is also 42%. Elevator low-n-hi diff is 22%.

The Edge is 7 lb 5 oz (empty fuel tank) plane powered by an OS 91 FX with a 14x6 APC sport prop. Primary type of flying will be precision / pattern stuff - and boring holes in sport mode. I have no real desire to dance on the 3D side of things 'cause the brain can't imagine let alone fly those ''maneuvers''. [img][/img]

I could toss just about any reasonable (close enough for hand granades approach) setup on the radio & mechanicals so that I can go out and fly but I don't want to do it the same old way. The guys a Aeroworks (Rocky and his crew) did a lot of good work to come up with these specs so I'm gonna try to honor their work effort and try to get it right ''out of the box''. OK, call this a learning experience ...

And - I get confused / overwhelmed when I have a bunch of different ways to attain the same goal ... [img][/img]

The DX7 allows me to Travel Adjust the servo travel - up to 150%. As best I can tell there is no need (maybe a little) for Sub Throw that would eat up any of the total throw. The dual rates allow me to knock down travel low below 100% or up to 125%.

So, what's the general approach to this setup (maybe call it a best practice)? Use 100% of servo travel to attain high rates and use the dual rate to knock it down for low rate spec? Use 100% of servo travel for low rates and overdrive the servos for the high rates?

Thanks for your ideas.

And if it helps, the servos are Spektrum DS821 low-end digital bits with a 5-cell NIMH 2000 mAh pack - Rx is a AR7000.

Anytime you set up a new Model, the first place to start is to set up your Servo Arms and Control Horns. You want the distance from the Center of the Servo Arm to the hole the Clevis is attached to, to be about the same distance the hole in the Control Horn is from the control surface. Set the Servo Arm at 90deg to the Servo Case, hold the Control Surface at Neutral, Measure and Install the Pushrod. Power up the Tx and Rx. Reset the Model Memory to Factory Default. Set the Servo Direction for each Servo. Install the Servo Arm as close to 90deg as possible. If it is not quite at 90deg, use a small amount of Subtrim to move it to 90deg. The Control Surface should be at Neutral.

Most Servos rotate 60deg in each direction, from Neutral. They will not move the full 60deg unless the Travel or End Points are set to the Max (150deg, for example). Move the Sticks back and forth and measure the Deflection of the Control Surface. Adjust the Travel, for each Control Surface, to the maximum you would possibly want the Deflection to be. When using the Travel Adjust, you can set different values for Up, Down, Right, or Left. This is where you can correct for any Mechanical Alignments that may cause the Deflection to be different for each direction. Use the Rate Settings to set your High and Low Rates. You can also set Expo for each Rate.

If you are using a separate servo for each Aileron Half, for example, you can connect each servo to a different channel and mix them in the Tx. In this way, you can Match each Aileron Half to one another, more easily. If you connect each Aileron Servo to a Y Harness, you have to use Mechanical means to Match each Aileron Half Deflection.