RCU Forums - View Single Post - Looking for Newbie pilots to explain why you suggest motors on gliders?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Looking for Newbie pilots to explain why you suggest motors on gliders?

ORIGINAL: tobuy3003

I need the reasons why this conversion should be done to my own ships actually. I am not a newbie.

The idea of electric powered "launching" is highly desireable to many. But since those folks have not had the chance to fly from a winch or high start they may feel that you are missing out on something. So in their own way they are just trying to help you out.

But as you seem to be suggesting by the tone of your posts you're quite happy with a pure glider and a winch or high start to get it aloft.

Perhaps what you need to do instead of questioning their motives is try to spread the word on your own about what it's like to fly gliders that have no "second, third or fourth chance for a thermal if the pilot misses it the first time up. Like how it sharpens up the flying and decisions knowing that it'll be more work to get back up and try again. And how when it goes right you have more of a sense of accomplishment.