RCU Forums - View Single Post - Private nitro/gas/turbine airfield
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 10:23 PM
slickporsche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Private nitro/gas/turbine airfield

I agree. Not too long ago it was possible to find groups flying in different locations, and a country airports where there was hardly any full size traffic. There were lots of kits and plans available,and most never thought about buying a BARF. You can hardly call it a hobby anymore with all the toy Barfs around. You show up at a field with a built up, and they say "nice Barf, where did you buy it. Then when you explain it is not an Barf, they get mad and say you are lieing and no one can build an airplane that good. Then to top it all off they cannot fly worth a damn. I would not comment on what I think of the AMA, but it would not be good, and would start a war, so I will refrain.
ORIGINAL: acdii

I tend to agree with the OP. Flying fields used to be a place where you could go and fly your homebuilt scrapper and enjoy it. Now they have all the noise abatement rules and such that you need 10 pound mufflers to fly a 5 pound plane. Having a set of rules for safety is one thing, but now if you exceed a noise threshold, you just cant do very much anymore. Electric can only go so fast, and fly so far, and can only be so big, so those of us into large scale planes, no longer have a place to fly them. If I had the money to buy up a few acres of land across the road from me, I would setup a flying field for those of us who like the big planes, and the noise. Imagine trying to find mufflers to quiet down a 9 cyl radial engine, and imagine 4 of those rolling out in a B17.