Thread: RADIAN
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RADIAN

Red inserts by Zor.
Some comments below may be helpful for some new Radian owners and perhaps even older owners.

ORIGINAL: FrankFuss

Hi Zor,

When you reinforce the rear end, check the balance because of the added weight.

All I did is glue (Weldbond) on the flat a 3/8" x 1/4" real hard balsa strip under the fuselage bottom center. It goes from the very end of the fuse forward to about 3" further ahead than the fin leading edge.
The weak point is right there at the fin leading edge where the fuselage cross section is quite small.
That addition is very little weight and it flew very well.

I still have to do lots of set up on the model and on the transmitter (Spektrum DX7).
Had to reverse all servos (elev, rudd and aile).
Adjust all linkages mechanically to get proper akignment with neutral sticks (on Tx) with neutral trims and sub-trims.
I still have to set up (revise) the control surfaces throws (mechanical and/or transmitter, set up D/R (Dual Rates) and experiment with exponential as I found the sensitivity of controls way too much sensitive.

I left my Radian Pro mostly stock. I added a light carbon strip reinforcement along the center of the elevator. I worked the elevator to free up the hinge. I carefully reshaped the elevator and rudder pushrods so they had a gentle bend that matched the pushrod tube. This and a little graphite lube freed up their movement considerably. The wing tube was a tight fit so I had to relieve it a little.

In my case the wing tube slides just fine in the wings (tube OD and wing holes dia is just fine) but the dia of the hole in the fuselage is too large (Very sloppy) . Fortunately the wings fit nicely in the fuselage recesses. There is something wrong with the installation of the two screws that prevent the wings from sliding out. I still have to find out what is going on. The few threads at the end of the screws do not seem to engage into anything. I think the threads should engage in the plastic part on the wing tops.
Are we supposed to drill that plastic part and thread it ? Nothing in the manual about that.

I don't think there is a problem with the flex in the fuselage for thermal type flying as long as you can avoid hard landings. It is after all only a foam model and must be treated gently. I might use a little fiberglass packing tape if I try a field with a rougher landing surface.

My goal was to try the full-house foam glider to see how I liked it before I decided to spend more money on a better composite glider.

I used an Spektrum AR6210 receiver, which was good idea because I see that I get many fades at longer distances so it is good to have the extra remote receiver.

This one came with a pre-installed AR600 supposed to be a full range receiver.
It works fine with the Spektrum DX7 transmitter.

I have never had an AFR that I did not have to spend a lot of time to get everything working well and fixing any manufacturing or design flaws. I probable spent more like 6 hours getting my Radian Pro ready. Much of that time was spent getting the radio setup to my liking.

My previously quoted "one hour assembly" was referring only to read the manual and get the mechcanical assembly and does not include any adjustments. Some still have to be done.

Regards,
Frank
One things that I found "annoying" is that the system comes with a charger that needs 10 to 15 DC volts to feed the charger.

I like to charge the batteries in my shack and monitor as they charge. I do not have time to spend outdour using the battery (ries) of my vehicles in the driveway. The cord is not long enough to plug into the cigar lighter in the dash and keep the lipo outside the vehicle. That cigar lighter plug-in connector does not fit very well to a battery in the vehicle engine area.
Sure the model packaging says "just fly" . Some industry people are just very shortsighted or not very "intelli____" Anyone can figure it out.

Fortunately I have 13.8 volts filtered DC supply working off the 117 V AC available in my shack and was able to make adaptation to that supply. I can still use the cigar lighter connector that came with the charger while at the flying field.

Best to you and all Radian fliers.
It is fascinating to read about anyone's activity, problems and solutions.

Zor