RCU Forums - View Single Post - Optical kill and AFHSS - any advice?
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 05:33 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Optical kill and AFHSS - any advice?

ORIGINAL: Cpt Crash I'm setting up my MX2 with an ignition gas engine, and have read the posts about problems with optical kill switches and with ignition interference. Any words of advice? I'm flying a 2.4 Optic 6 with an Optima 6 receiver, and the engine has an RCEXEL ignition module. What are team pilots like Brandon doing on their big gassers? I have the Electro Dynamics EDR-107 switch with total fiber optic isolation, which looks like a solution to any interference going into the system via the switch. What about positioning the BODA for the receiver? As far away from the ignition module as possible? Vertical orientation? Any reports of interference from specific ignition modules? Any advice would be appreciated, since deploying the garbage bag of despair is something I'd like to avoid.
Many have been flying with out issue, but for peace of mind, check your AFHSSSpectra Module is V3.01.
Unfortunately the Optima 6 can not be updated by user and there is a little delay until the update jig is operative at service center.
Please refer to:
. Aurora 9 - After Market Accessories: Caution re Opti-kill, Duralite, Powerbox, Switches, Leads etc.
"27 July 2011: Update
"FYI: The RX firmware update V3.01 should be up in the next couple of days. There has been speculation (as there always is) as to the validity of this update and the causes of some of the problems we have seen; All I can say it this is a GOOD THING as it improves the noise rejection capability of the RX as well as includes a re-boot feature if is it affected so at least it has a chance to recover. If other factors are involved then they will be addressed as well as needed.- Mike. "
It would be all Optima's in which only the 7/9 can be updated by the user.
. Future RX's will have the updated firmware from the factory.- Mike.
No need to remove them (Optima),
just connect to the data connection and your're good to go. While not a necessity, it's not a bad idea to rebind after an update and perform a range check just to be on the safe side.- Mike
5Aug11: Update
"Optima 6's will be able to be updated in the near future but will have to be sent in to do so.
Don't send them yet though... we are waiting on the jig. - Mike."
Expanded explanation of upgrade function"

. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Installation RX & BODA Antenna FAQ, {Regularily Updated with Q&A}

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links