RCU Forums - View Single Post - Arrogance at your field?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2003, 03:21 PM
stang51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrogance at your field?

We had a younger fellow (new guy to us) show up at our field and promptly walked up and down the flight line telling us what was wrong with out models. This from a guy who glued his receiver to the balsa in his model so it wouldn't "slide around".

After he couldn't get his engine started we relented and offered to help him. We got him airborne and an instructor stood by to check him out as he told us he was an "expert" flier.

The model kept getting farther and farther away and he would not give control to the instructor. Finally he admitted he couldn't see the model anymore and handed the radio to the instructor.
Well, the instructor tried, but couldn't tell what attitude the aircraft was in because of the distance the model was now at.
I took over (I don't know why) and the only thing I could see was a flash of sunlight off the wings occasionally as I tried to establish its orientation. I put the radio down, turned to this newbie and said, "well, that's a goner".
He swore at us for losing his model and jumped into his 4x4 and took off after it. Well this guy is so much fun that we took off after him.
About 3 miles away there was a swampy area and he drove up to the edge where some folks were having a small campfire.
He asked them if they saw a model airplane and they said no, but they had seen a white duck land in the water,
Hmmm, "white duck" We looked and you could see the model floating in a small channel of water.
The newbie said, "I'll get it!", jumped into his 4x4, drove over an embankment and buried his truck up to the windows in the swamp.
I left and went back to the field laughing all the way.
I just love newbies, tee hee