RCU Forums - View Single Post - crash's related to my dx7
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: crash's related to my dx7

ORIGINAL: gary132

Recently i lost 3 models in flight,

one saturday i was flying at a show in mildenhall. i had flown all 6 of my models i had taken on the day.
towards the end of the day i flew my new built lavochkin 7. it was on it's 7th flight. tested and proven.
during it's flight it became unresponsive to radio...lowered it's wheels and crashed. luckily i'm a builder and it's not beyond repair.

the following thursday evening i flew my spitfire and puppeteer at my local club. all ok.

the following sunday i turned up at my club with a brand new built model a pylon racer with everything new on board.
while flying htis model it lost all contact with radio and slammed in....sadly a black bag job nothing left to repair.
i then flew my 12ft span glider and my 1/4 precedent stampe. all was ok.

next i took up my spitfire which i built and has been flying at shows over the last year.....and hey ho here we go again. total loss of radio and she too slammed in.
nothing left to repair and a dead sc91 four stroke to boot.

obviously now im convinced my tx is having intermittent issues so i hault flying.

the radio went off to horizon hobbys.

they tell me no fault found after a days bench testing. then tell me they flew it 2 times in a model and no fault.
they say they reprogramed it.

here is my dilema the spit was valued at £500
the russian LA was worth £500
the pylon racer stood me in £200

thats a total of £1200 pounds worth of aircraft and compenents lost.
apparantly my radio is on it's was back to me. no fault found.
How the hell can i trust this radio.
i know all the questions are going to come was it brown out ? 3 models ?
all moedls had new batterys. all models tested before flight commenced with battery load tester.
all models registered 90% power....and all batterys were tested after crash's all read 90% ?
all models were fitted out with new servos rx's etc etc switch's the lott.

do i take a chance with this radio and risk loseing more models. ?
my trust in the dx7 or any spectrum radio is 0%.

im now selling a valuable model to raise funds to go out and replace my radio system with a futaba. i think it is the only way to go. Gary132.
Hey Gary

Read your post and all the subsequent responses...

Sorry for your loss..

have you conducted a Full Range test with this transmitter? with each of the RX involived in the crashes?

I don't mean the power down range check as specified in the manual, I mean a real range check to determin actual line of site range>

It might be something as simple as the antenna connection has come loose in your radio (yes I saw it happen in a friends radio - it range checked perfectly on the ground in power down mode but had severely reduced range)

I have Spektrum DX6is, DX8s and a number of Futabas and they have all been equally reliable. IE zero issues ever..

Like anything mechanical, or electrical, things just stop working sometimes, its a fact of life.

As for your concerns about the DX8, my first one develeoped the gimbal problem and was repaired free of charge as a recall.. it is now perfect..

My 2nd DX8 is just flawless.. If you buy a recent DSMX version then it will be fine. all the issues are sorted..

Just range check your new radio fully before trusting in the air..