RCU Forums - View Single Post - Clan .24cc update now running.
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Diesel Die-hard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clan .24cc update now running.

I have two of them, both of which run great and are fine little engines. The Clan's somewhat undeserved reputation is based on several things:
    [*]Some of them had a manufacturing flaw which prevented the bypass from opening. Theseare definite non -runners! But there weren't too many of them. Chances are that yours won't be one. To check, turn it over slowly andlisten for the crack as the transfer port opens when the piston descends. If it cracks open, you're fine. But even if it's no go, this is fixable if you have the equipment and skill.[/list]
      [*]A lot of people don't appreciate the importance of cleaning these tiny engines thoroughly after use. The smallest anount of castor oil gum in the bypass or needle valve, and you're dead! If the thing won't start, this is the first thing to check. It's easily fixed - take the thing apartand clean it! It's even more easily prevented - clean it thoroughly after use! I wash my engines in Varsol after use and then give them some time in an ultrasonic cleaner with methyl hydrdrate (eliminates the diesel aroma completely). After this,oil with either Rislone or air tool oil. An engine treated in thsi way will never gum up.[/list]
        [*]Another potential problem is a base leak. If there's any leakage from the backplate or cylinder base, you may have trouble with starting. Easily checked by rotating the engine with the case immersed in solvent. The fix is to make new gaskets as necessary.[/list]
          [*]Use a fuel with plenty of ether - at least 35%. The small engines really need plenty of ether. [/list]Good luck!!