RCU Forums - View Single Post - ***Official*** 1/18 Scale HIGH SPEED Thread!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:33 PM
RCJuice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ***Official*** 1/18 Scale HIGH SPEED Thread!!!

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Guys, let me stress again, if you want to do crazy speed runs, you are going to be pushing the limits of the electronics. Every dollar put into your motor and ESC will be worth it. If you are serious about achieving those speeds you are going to need the best products there are on the market in terms of ESC, motor and batteries. It's that simple. Even my quite expensive Orion Vortex system is prone to high heat at 7500 on 3s and has to be constantly monitored, and I'm not even doing speed runs, I'm quite high geared.

Having done some testing myself lately, I would say 6000kv is probably about optimal in a micro motor on 3s, as a balance of rpm, torque and heat. I can't speak about the larger cans as I haven't tried them.

Above all though, see my signature below. Then refer to another great RC adage. "Speed costs. How fast do you want to go? "

Yakfish, I may have missed that you are using a 25A speed control in an earlier post, but now you've brought it to my attention, I can tell you that it will be tough to hit 80mph with only 25A. You need to be looking at a 40A at least now (minimum!), especially if you have your eye on that slightly bigger motor.
Foxy, thank you for your input. Could you give me a couple suggestions on ESC's to look at seeing as how I am new to the electric scene (I'd prefer 4S capability)? I fully agree with the money spent being worth it on the electrinics and am not afraid of spending some coin, I just need alittel guidance.

Also, do you know how to figure out the necessary amp rating of the ESC I will be using? Is it based off of the mah of the battery pack(s) I'll be using?