RCU Forums - View Single Post - When is it time to change a Tx battery ?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: When is it time to change a Tx battery ?

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Stay with the old technology batteries if you want but do not discourage others from enjoying the freedom from endless charging.
Freedom from endless charging?
Is that what you think you are gaining?
I have news for you. The aircraft uses the energy - not the battery. You will charge the same no matter what kind of battery you use.
I have a Multiplex EVO that came with a NIMH battery when I bought it in 2007. The battery has never been out of the transmitter. I sometimes leave it in my car that sits in my garage in Phoenix while I go to Seattle for the summer. If I had a lipo in there I could possibly lose my transmitter, my car and my house.
I charge it about once every six weeks. I don't fly a lot but I do a lot of testing which can use it more than flying. I charge it in the transmitter with the charger that came with the radio. It doesn't need a fancy balance charger that costs an arm and a leg.
If you think there is a small risk then you should read the ''Lipo fires are real'' thread in RCG.

I understand your concerns. I have seen LiPo fires. The instances where this has happened most often result from using improper charging techniques or batteries that have been damaged in a crash. We all put cell phones to our ears, powered by Lithium batteries, and never think twice about the battery catching fire.

I have struggled with NiCad and NiMh batteries, for the past 33 years, and spent endless hours charging. I have seen the batteries self discharge sitting on the shelf and been frustrated because I could not fast charge without the charger False Peaking or the batteries heating up.

The quality of Lithium batteries has been vastly improved. I picked up one of my Lithium chargers, an FMA 4S, for $50, and my FMA 10S charger for $100. The Lithium batteries you can buy now are as cheap as NiCad/MiMh, charge in 15-30 min, and the charge last for months. I use Lithiums as Rx batteries and Tx batteries, for the past 4 years, without issue. I fly electrics with 7.4v to 50v without issue.

The technology is solid. It is not difficult to operate safely with these batteries and they save me a lot of time and aggravation.