RCU Forums - View Single Post - Too much prop stopping ENYA 60X ?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 04:35 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Too much prop stopping ENYA 60X ?

ORIGINAL: Altered1

Hi all,

I have an ENYA 60X, and a problem I originally thought was air in the lines from foaming fuel.

I'm using this in an airboat, so an engine stoppage is not a drastic problem, but it's annoying...

I now think that I may have too much prop, as I have replaced all hoses, checked the tank, replaced the clunk, padded the tank more, balanced the props.... everything I can think of.

I started off running a 12x6 APC, and the engine would start fine, and warm up without any problems..... but when I spin up to full power to move off and start some fun, she stops after 15 seconds or so... Once I changed to a 11x6 APC, I managed to have it run for several minutes at full power before it stopped. Running leaner or richer does not seem to have any marked effect. The stop is abrupt - no bogging down or leaning out that I can hear. She just dies.

The engine doesn't sound to be over propped, but I got the improvement in run time with 1' less diameter prop. Once I resize a 10x6 I was running on another engine (ASP52) I'll give that a go too.

so - has anyone experienced similar problems - am I on the right track ?

All information I find tells me this engine should be able to spin a 12x6 easily, and all day.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have

Altered1

I have a thought - How have you been tuning the high speed on the carburetor? Tach or by ear? My ST 90 had an abrupt quitting problem that took me awhile to iron out. I had to tune that one using a pinch test when setting high speed mixture. If you havent tried it, you may want to. I think the high end is lean and its getting hot and quitting. I'd fill the tank to the very top and run the engine to WOT. Pinch the fuel line briefly (dont kill the engine) and note the rpm change. If it doesnt change at all or cuts out, richen the HSN 2-3 clicks and wait 15 seconds. Pinch again. If the rpm still doesnt go up, keep richening it by a couple clicks until you get a slight rise in rpm. Once I did this on my ST 90, it cured the problem.

You usually have to adjust the carb each time you run it, and you should adjust the carb when changing props or fuel.