Old 08-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Jezmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DX8 Throttle Curve and DLE 30ccCan't get it right....

OK I think we are saying the same thing now. My point being here, as the rpm's increase in the air, as opposed to sitting on the ground, it needs more air hence the carb butterfly needs to be open more after it unloads. That's what I was trying to get across in my first couple of posts. Yes, it is a function of time, Revolutions per Minute. That doesn't change the FACT that it needs more air/fuel as the "rpm's increase" after takeoff or said another way, after it "unloads" in the air. More air has to get through the hole in the carb in one minute when the engine spins more Revolutions per Minute after takeoff. That is the sole reason I said not to artificially limit the throttle travel to ground rpm's.

Bottom line - I still stand by my original statement from above and I quote - "After the engine unloads in flight it will need more air to complement the extra rpm's it is now turning. Remember it is an air pump and the more rpm's it turns, the more air it pumps and the more power it makes. " Now it might not generate more torque as the rpm's increase but just as you said in the last post, it does make more power AKA "Horsepower" as that is "work" or "torque" done in "time". Yes, I know even that has it's limits but for purpose of the conversation, as it originally started out, the engine will need more air flow after it gets off the ground due to the increase in rpm's from unloading. For those who might stumble upon this thread, it would be wrong to limit the throttle travel to the amount where no further rpm gain is noticed on the ground unless one is NOT interested in obtaining maximum engine performance in the air.

I also agree on the HERO part. "Best Damm Garage in Town" Smokey was a true hero in many ways. According to very reliable sources at Chevy, he did indeed design the Small Block with much assistance from Ed Cole and others in the engineering staff. (Yes I know Ed gets most of the credit here.) Have a wonderful day and Happy Flying.