View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 04:44 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Good seeing you again Gary,, I was like everyone was Bummed for you guys,, After such a great flight,, Just the sound of the 250 was worth the drive out. I was like many I'm sure was thinking ''power up,, power up'',, It looked like it wasn't that bad a bounce really,, I was surprised when the gear folded back

I had a great time out there, 4 good flights of my own,,Hope you guys can make it out on Saturday and we get that same great weather in Grafton,,

Cya
Thank you for coming down and I'm glad you had a good time. It was a good crowd and collection of planes I thought.

She will be totally repaired in a couple days (nothing major), and Brian is adding a new switch to isolate the wing folding servo from the RX while the radio binds up. The wing folding system is working fine other than that minor problem with the valve servo. That means that Saturday, we should also be able to fold the wings.

We weighed her before we took her apart after we got back to the shop. 62lbs!!!!! Easy to see how the gear took all she could till the third bounce. I'm just glad Darrel is such a good engineer when it come to our gear, and that he uses the good materials he does. Chinese crap would not have taken that. IMO, if the gear had not folded, it may well have damaged the airframe. The gear absorbed the shock. As for adding power, I did advance the throttle slightly, but |I was paranoid about torquing over. In retrospect, I should have just advanced the power after the first bounce and gone around.

We learned a lot about the airplane on the first flight. The second will be better. She flys like she weighs much less, but you need to respect that weight when you bring her in. The sink rate was more than I expected, after flying Zombie with that big flat bottom wing. The Corsair is a very different.

We are planning to come to your event with Zombie, the F4U, and a couple other military birds. How did you like the electric P-51? Might bring that as well.

As for the second flight on the Corsair, I plan a much longer flight plan to include simulated approaches at altitude, some typical fighter aerobatics in order to better 'feel' out the control throws, CG tests, and much better landings.

We had a little glitch on the inner gear doors on Zombie that is also being addressed.

All in all, it was a good day, I thought. I didn't see any major damage done to any airplanes unless I missed something.

Till Saturday.
I tiny bit more speed before touch down and you'd have been in great shape,, it was like it hit a gust of wind and just dropped,, I was impressed with how slow she came in for that size and weight a bird.. You know,, Us all in the pits always know what to do and what should have been done

The only plane I think that went in was a B-25,, seams to me while I was flying I saw it doing a flat spin, looked like a Maple Seed floating down. I thought the guys was doing a one engine aerobatic stunt or something, but my caller said it looked like it landed softly in the corn. I never investigated. It was amazing with what,, 60-70 planes? none got stuffed in. A good testament to the skill and workmanship of pilots these days,, not to mention reliability of equipment.

Cya Sat.,,, Tom

p.s.
I did like the P-51,, we had a couple semi formation passes, That was fun for me,, Not sure if you were digging it

I'm still conflicted when it comes to the lack of engine sound and E-power Warbirds