RCU Forums - View Single Post - Had my first runaway RC!!
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 06:41 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Had my first runaway RC!!

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I have had 1 runaway. I had just put a DX3S radio kit into one of my LST2's. I had a Venom failsafe w/ temp gauge that I had on it for the temp function only since the temp sensor lead isnt long enough to reach the radio box on the LST2.. I never set the failsafe up since the radio had one that I did set properly. One of my bashing spots is a big parking lot for a park down by the mississippi river. I was turning the truck around to bring it back for a carb adjustment and it stopped turning, throttle tweaked a little and WOT it went straight off a 30 foot cliff into the river. I scratched my head because I had the failsafe in the radio set and the Rx pack was charged and reading 6.8v. After drying it off, everything still worked except the Venom Failsafe didnt. I opened it up and found the 3 wires going to the Rx were frayed and only holding by 1 strand of wire, the rest shorted out and must have signaled the servo to go WOT.

I had to replace 1 bearing in one of my 645MG servos but everything still works, though I tossed the failsafe in the trash. I resoldered the wires but the FS was fried.

When I ran/climbed down to get the truck it was still running albeit half submerged. I carried the truck back up the bluff face and checked it all over. Considering it went through the woods, hit a tree and plummeted, it survived unscathed. No more runaways since I pulled the FS/Temp unit off. Lesson learned on my part.
You had the venom failsafe AND the spektrum one? That's why it went WOT...