RCU Forums - View Single Post - best bang for you buck brushed motor on the market.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:45 PM
MKMotorsport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: best bang for you buck brushed motor on the market.

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

I'm not an elitest or think I am from the old school. I wish more people shared my interests like they used to.
Amen! I'm not an old geyser yet, but everyday I'm a little closer. Brushed motors can generate good power. In 1998-99 I had an Associated Team TC3 running a no turn limit ESC, and various ultra hot wind motors, 3-5 turn type setups, mainly for "bashing" and top speed fun, not much racing (hate the politics). Running Ni-Mh "matched" packs (remember that term?) LOL, the car was in the mid 70's pretty easy with a pretty hack setup otherwise as far as suspension, weight distro, and aerodynamics. The thing that was the absolute WORST about these setups, was running 2,3 maybe 4 packs through if you really pushed it, and then full motor tear down time. Those super soft silver brushes (not cheap)- toast after 15 mins. I had my own Hudy lathe and did my own motors but it was a REAL downer!!! I don't miss that one bit. OK , that was quite a worthless rant.

The 19T Chameleon was a favorite motor of mine as well back in the day, I actually had 3 cans and mayby 4 armatures for them. Great balance of torque/power and not picky about gearing. Good overall motor "life" too. The P2K was also a great stock motor, they last and last and last. I remember I had a "cheater" P2K that I popped the bushings out of and put bearings into, LOL I had every turn motor from stock spec 27's, down to 3T. Realistically, anything below 12T brushed would not be worth it, unless you have your own lathe (or a buddy with one), and a cheap source/endless supply of brushes. Motors like that simply require ALOT of maintainance, no matter who they are made by/ or where they are from. On hobby king you can buy a 40 amp car brushless ESC ($25), and a 2700kv motor that matches it for about ($30). Running it on 2S 7.4 packs in a light 4wd buggy I get 40mph and 15+ minutes run time easy, maybe 135 degree motor temp when done. Our ambient temp is unusually high, mid 90's so I imagine that setup has more in it once it cools down some. But this assumes you have li-po batteries and a charger for them.

Nothing at all wrong with running a cheap brushed can setup. I'm fortunate enough to have a dozen planes, 4 helis, and 6 or so 1/4 gas boats all with full mod or Quickdraw engines. I'm just getting back into cars again after a LONG break. Competitive racing just burned me out and ruined all the fun for me. I forgot how much fun cars are. All the brushed equipment people are getting rid of you can get some nice stuff on ebay/Craig's list, ect for next to nothing. If you are just bashing around with a couple buddies over a beer or two, who friggin cares what kind of setup you got? The elite"est" really tick me off (and most everyone else) and ultimately they drive others away from the hobby [] Sad, but true.

Another place to check for cheap 540/550 can motors is Scientific supply shops. I've seen plain jane 540/550 can motors for $2-3 at times. Another thing you can do to pickup some speed in run on 7 cells. Even the most cheapest brushed ESC will usually handle 7 ni-cd, nimh cells under load. Also, gear it up and watch the motor temps. If you smoke a $3 motor you can laugh, open another beer and throw it in the trash

Just getting back into cars I got myself a HPI Vorza, I know how far things have come electronics wise from my E planes, helis, and a few boats I recently converted epower, so was VERY interested to see where cars were at. Stock outta the box on 6 cells the thing is actually frightening!! The sounds of those metal gears intimidating. I only made a few full speed passes on some empty road but would have to say it was dang near 70 outta the box, completely stock. Weighing in at what it does (I dunno 12-13 lbs?) with 22.2 V worth of battery strapped in that is simply amazing!!! Seem like it would definetly amputate both feet with little problem if you hit yourself or someone with it at full tilt.

So, I got 60 tons of clay delivered, and a Bobcat rented for the entire weekend!!!! Backyard track here we come. This morning, the neighborhood association rent-a-cop was doing some "paperwork" parked right out in front of my house while staring at the pile of clay taller than my house, LOL!! But back on track, I really don't have ANY car racing buddies at all. So my wife agreed and thought it be cool if we got a couple bone stock Duratrax Evaders (with stock can motors) and race each other in our own "spec" class. I'm not going to modify anything on these, leave 'em 100 completely stock. So there is plenty of fun to be had with cheap R/C gear. Not everyone gives a rats azzz if they have the latest and greatest Losi race kit, or the next jigawatt 1000 amp brushless controller 30S capable or a motor that sips up 20,000 watts and dosen't even get warm. Sometimes its fun just to drive R/C "toys" (and yes, all of these are just toys I don't care how much $$$$-$$$$$ you got in 'em).