RCU Forums - View Single Post - Green models 120 Tiger Moth
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 05:51 AM
Planejaw
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Green models 120 Tiger Moth

After about 10 flights to date, found out that the stock firewall setup provides for a little too much down-thrust. when applying power, the nose really wants to drop. This is noticeable on takeoff, and during flight. I also found that the firewall, which is keyed into the sides of the engine-box, does not appear to be well glued. I've noticed some play. Nothing terrible, but it will add to vibration. I always pull my fuel tanks and replace all fuel line over the winter, so I'll do some reinforcing of these joints while I'm in there.

This is my first aircraft with a smoke system. Boy, does the smoke fluid do a number on covering and ensuring that covering on the underside of the fuselage comes loose. Smoke oil is very thick in the bucket, but after it's burned, it is very thin and really gets under everything. I've already removed some covering from areas just behind the rear landing-gear mount and painted the area with acrylic. Again, another project this winter will be to remove the lower-wing center section, douse all of the plywood and balsa with Denatured alcohol in an attempt to get as much oil off of the wood as possible, then re-cover and paint any "possible" exposed areas or areas that may even remotely see any oil.

Of course, I found much less oil "mess" by using a smaller capacity LiPo battery to power the Sullivan Smokewriter. I'll do a little more work to get the pump to pump a little slower, but with a smaller capacity battery, you don't have the "range" to adjust the output of the smoke pump, as you do with a larger battery.

The DA-50 has proved to be an excellent power choice for this airplane. The rigging has held up well, but I've "strengthened" some of the rigging fixtures to add to the durability. Again, a few things to do over the wintertime here in Michigan...6-months of building and prepping airplanes for the 2012 flying season.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77892.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1672738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60451.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1672739