RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pilot R/C, 37% (100cc) Edge 540
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Pilot R/C, 37% (100cc) Edge 540

For those interested, the cylinder porting of an MVVS 116 is substantially different from what is seen in most engines. The 116 does not use the typical three port (intake and boost) design, instead using what you might call an opposed quad port design without having the third, or intake port, opposite the exhaust port. Very similar to what Honda uses in their high performance two stroke engines. Lots of overlap and angled to assist the exhaust port in boosting the intake charge. The cylinder has a well defined, machine quality, squish band and an ample hemispherical combustion chamber. The spark plug is centered in the top of the chamber to establish an even combustion kernal. The chrome chrome liner is a true hard chrome instead of the usual "flame" plating used in most engines. To peel the chrome out of one of these cylinders would probably leave a big hole in the outside of the cylinder. I don't believe it can be done.

The installation will require a bit more planning and work that the usual engine type but the benefits should more than offset the detractors. Pipes are a little different as well. The pipe wall sheeting is not the typical thin stuff and is not subject to caving in at the lightest touch. The end of the pipes bears the mounting system, using a round recess to be inserted over a rod or dowel to support the aft end of the can. Of course one could use the industry standard circumference support if they desired.More work and weight that way though. The sleeve coupler and spring fasteners means you can remove one can or both without having to destroy part of the installation equipment (silicone sleeve) in the process.

The ignition system requires a higher voltage than most ignitions, making a 2 cell li-po a good candidate for ignition power. So for those that like driving an ignition off of flight batteries (I do not) it would not work unless you were using a higher voltage flight battery system. That would require regulating down for the flight servos or the use of over priced high voltage flight servos.