RCU Forums - View Single Post - ParkZone Spitfire Mk IX !!!
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone Spitfire Mk IX !!!

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] SPITFIRE EXCITEMENT AT 12,200 FEET DENSITY ALTITUDE LAST WEEKEND

Earlier tests at one mile plus altitude seemed to show that the 11X7 SF APC prop would work really well as my best high altitude prop using the stock 30 Amp ESC. At the continental divide there was a rather large asphalt parking lot and had I felt more confident a surely fatal mistake due to wind turbulance, etc. would have been made. After taxiing around some the irresistible urge to do a simple little test hop became overpowering. ROG more or less straight into the wind, the ship rose a few feet into the thin air, chopped the power and bounced in for a "landing" (?) that succeeded in chipping the prop and knocking off a wheel cover - didn't flip over - my wheels are located far enough forward now to keep the ship upright most of the time upon landings.

Be back shortly.

After putting up a fairly nice GUNFIGHTER flight over a Soccer field at 8800 feet, the Mk IX Spitfire did its thing. Fortunately, I was high enough this time when throttling up without adding some right rudder that put my Spit into a nasty tip stall, I was able to pull out a few feet above the ground and make an uneventful landing, except for the terrifying truma of the event, of course.

There was something really weird about that 11X7. Although it was necessary to remember to not use full throttle much at that altitude to prevent burning out the ESC, there was a startling lack of power. I've concluded that under some conditions the 11X7 prop was stalling. This is very strange because my brushed motor powered PZ Spitter uses a slightly modified version of this prop and flies beautifully with it. I've modified the prop now to look a lot like the Mk II's version with its more curvaceous leading edges shape and more blunt airfoil leading edge shape like what works so well on the Mk II. As an additional test high altitude prop I created a slightly wider bladed and greater diameter prop that runs at just over 35 Amps with a fully charged battery. The new test prop is made from a 12X4.7 APC SF prop. My objective is to get by without having to buy a 40 Amp ESC to enjoy my special "Just Fly At Any Altitude" fighter plane aerobatics.