RCU Forums - View Single Post - Servo Selection Help Please
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Homer712
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Selection Help Please

I'm looking at getting the Hanger 9 P-51 Mustang 40 Sport ARF reviewed here in RCU. For servos, the reviewer used the suggested JR DS-821 servos. Digital and high torque. Are these necessary?

Here's why I ask. I've been building and flying since the mid 1970s and have always pretty much used the servos that came with the radios. I currently fly a few larger planes and have never seen the need to use the higher torque servos. I fly an old Areomaster Special that's about 20 years old (remember when we actually built these things?) with a Super Tigre 60 and all Airtronice 94102 servos. I also fly a Goldberg Tiger 60 with a Super Tigre 75 and also all Airtronics 94102 servos. My last really "larger" (and newest) plane is a Hanger 9 Toledo Special with an Evolution 46 and Hitec HS-322HD servos in the body and HS-425BB servos on the ailerons. I can add that all of my flight pack batteries are 700 to 800 mAh pack by Hangtime (NoBS Batteries) Hobbies (do higher torque servos require larger flight batteries?).

So here's the question. Have I just been very lucky so far with these lower torque servos on my larger planes (I have yet to have a servo fail in all the years I've been building/flying) or are they fine to use so long as you're not either flying 3D and/or large gas powered planes? I guess that it would also help to add that being a "seasoned citizen" I tend to fly my planes at a slower pace, as I've got all day to do it and no particular place to be at any specific time.

My initial thought for servos for the P-51 Mustang was to go with the HS-425BB if lower torque is sufficient, or the HS-485HB if the recommendation is for higher torque units. Any other suggestion from those of you with servo knowledge/experience would be welcome.