View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 AM
rhall999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New kit ideas?

One of the problems is that you can scale the airplane, but you cannot scale the air molecules, and manufacturers frequently enlarge the tail surfaces to make them effective in the downwized version.

Les
I'm afraid I have to strongly disagree. Iknow all about scaling down, reynolds #'s etc. That is NOT why control surfaces need to be enlarged, particularily in the 1/4 scale range. maybe in the small .25 and below aircraft. There is no reason why a scale aircraft with correct scale outlines and planfroms will not fly, and fly well. Case in point: every damn aircraft at Scale Masters or Top Gun. On the modern aerobatic RC's the controls are enarged to give control for 3D manuevers.

There used to be a whole bunch of correct scale aerobatic planes that flew great. Here is a quick list just off the top of my head.

Lanier Laser 200 (1/4 and 1/3 scale)
Byron Pitts
Byron Extra 300
Byron Christen Eagle
Byron Sukhoi
All the Ohio R/C kits (they had Extras, Suhkoi, Ultimate bipes omong a few others)

In a smaller scale, yet still proper sized planform

Goldberg Ultimate
Goldberg Staudacher
Goldberg Jungmeister
Great Planes Extra 300s

And that is just a quick list I came up with off the top of my head as I was typing this. I am sure there are quite a few more that I have forgotten about. Scaling down and maintaining scale outlines can and has been done......a lot.