RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need a first hobby grade buggy...$400ish budget
Old 11-09-2011, 07:59 PM
X-JaVeN-X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a first hobby grade buggy...$400ish budget

Hey guys and gals. Let me go ahead and apologize up front for all of my n00bness.

I always loved RC cars when I was a kid but only ever owned toys (My personal favorite was an old Tyco Fast Traxx 9.6v that thing was awesome and somebody really needs to make a hobby grade version of it). Anyway, I'm 30 years old now and for some reason have an urge to pick up a new toy, but I'd like to go with something hobby grade.

I'm looking for something 1/8 scale and it has to be an electric buggy. I just like the looks of a buggy and from my understanding 1/8 scale is more durable than 1/10 scale and being as this will be mostly for bashing (I guess that's the correct term for screwing around in the back yard with it on home made ramps and what not), durability is a big priority.

Secondly, I want something RTR. I only want to spend around $400ish (that's my ball park...I don't really want to go over that too much, but will if absolutely necessary.

Right now, the only options that I really know that are in my price range are a Thunder Tiger EB4-G3 and a XTM XT2e. Again, I'm not looking to race, as I have no track that I'm aware of for hundreds of miles. Also, I have no hobby store within probably 2.5 hours from me so using the whole "get what your local hobby store sells" is not a consideration for me. Replacement parts will be purchased online without exception.

So, what do you guys recommend? Are either of the above two options I mentioned any good (again, durability is my number one concern)? Are there other options that are better?

Lastly, if this is in the wrong forum...I apologize. If this is the case, please direct me to the correct sub-forum or maybe have a moderator move it?

Thanks guys!