RCU Forums - View Single Post - if your glow engine was in your car
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 09:04 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: if your glow engine was in your car

You know, I had almost forgotten about it. But years ago at the time, the converted edge trimmer engines worked Ok, but they tended to have problems at idle with glow plugs. But in hindsight now, the first problem was I used to make my own glow plug adapters for the engines. But I mounted the glow plug on top so it had a recess on the inside to get to the combustion chamber. In hindsight, I should have counter sunk the glow plugs deeper so they would sit more flush with the bottom of the adapter. That would help the compression a little too.  The other issue was the glow fuel. At the time we never thought about using less oil in the glow fuel with the engines. But when I think about my experiences with the big SuperTigre engines, the edge trimmer motors would have run much better with reduced oil percentages in the fuel. Especially since most all of the edge trimmer motors have needle bearing rods in them too.

I have a Ryobi 30cc 4 cycle engine edge trimmer I was going to use as a airplane motor. It has a oil sump, so inverted flying isn't done for very long. But it ought to work well in any case. I was going to hook up a CDi ignition to it, but I think I'll go ahead and put on a glow engine carb and make a glow plug adapter for it too. Then just run it as a glow engine. Our local hobby shop sells straight methanol by the gallon too. So this should be fun.