RCU Forums - View Single Post - Disappointed in RC Advancement Over Last 20 Years
Old 11-16-2011, 10:59 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Disappointed in RC Advancement Over Last 20 Years

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Are you really happy when your radio suddenly looses the radio link to the plane and there goes $2,000 worth of gear?

It is 2011, we should be able to have solidly dependable radio links to the planes.

I have worked in another industry (software) and have seen all the advances...

You want a plane to beep at you when you loose it, ''buy this''. Everything is an addon extra. Have the engines really improved all that much? If other products were sold in such a piece-meal manner people would scream... you guys continue to settle for the same same.

Maybe this is part of the reason kids are not entering the hobby.

You don't have to get mad to discuss this... it is a point of view. I don't care if you disagree, that's fine. Calling me names does not change things... I am not trying to make anyone mad, just think about it.
Your point of not being personally attacked for an unpopular viewpoint is most certainly valid , the discussion isnt helped by taking such shots at each other . I dont beleive you to be a troll , but I cant really see what your seeing about RC not reaping the benifits of advances in technology from other sources . We do now have computer controlled radios , telemetry is available for those who are into that aspect of the hobby , and face it , NO rf link is "rock solid" , , , , from your local AM sports radio stations to Satellite TV , ALL rf links can and do fail all the time . My satellite TV goes out every time we get even so much as a rain shower .

Also , as to the separate pricing of the items goes , , have you looked at any of your bills lately ? Everything from fuel costs to administrative fees are individually itemized , it seems to be the way of the world lately to break down costs to the last possible cent , and so why would our hobby be any different ? Are you really saying you dont like the approach of buying each piece to suit YOUR particular idea of what a model plane should be ? What if I dont want the beeper in your "all in one" approach to sales , will I still have to pay for it ?

With all due respect , I beleive your seeing a problem that doesnt exist . What other hobby has technology that our's doesnt , or , , what exactly is it you think our hobby should have , but doesnt ? ............. The RF thing aside , since no RF technology that I know of in ANY other area will "100% unfailingly" perform , what are you missing ?

PS , I just thank the great gods of RF that my cellphone drops more calls than my TX drops planes