RCU Forums - View Single Post - American Eagle B-17 Build
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 AM
deatonbt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: American Eagle B-17 Build

I liked the Spitfire kit, but it is more of a sport plane that happens to look like a Spitfire. The glass work was good, but there were a few pin holes. It is incredibly easy to build and fly. The airfoil gets flat toward the tip, and there is a lot of washout that can be seen by the naked eye. I made two mistakes though; it was my first fiberglass fuselage. I should have done most of the body work to get it into primer before putting in the firewall and servo mounts. I had to be careful to not sand through the hard points where I had glued them. The second mistake that I made was to use 3M spray adhesive on the foam wing. It was the first time that I had used it, and it did not adhere very well. The sheeting lifted at the trailing edge. I brushed in some Titebond, and it has held. I should have stuck with brush on contact cement or Gorilla glue as I have used in the past. But... Ihave just sheeted a foam wing for the first time with Titebond as used by a forum member in another thread. It is the easiest and cleanest way yet and works well. The balsa is not going to separate from the foam. Time will tell.

-Brian