RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM FW D-9
Thread: ESM FW D-9
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM FW D-9

ORIGINAL: ticketec

yeah possibly... but for the same money you can buy 2 of the XYZ.

I know that zenoah has a very large loyal following, especially in the US, but to be honest i really don't understand it. For me, it's paying top dollar for 30-40 year old technology, does it work? yes, but so did Ford model T's and Atari's. Not sure they would be anyone reading this on their Atari?? or flying with their AM radios. A DA or DLE have proven to be just as reliable, put out significantly more power, and a lot lighter weight, for less money, but people keep going back to zenoahs?? I guess for them it's a case of the devil you know rather than the facts. Another classic example is the Harley. Now I'm sure I'm going to step on toes saying that, but you pay BIG bucks for genuine 1940's technology[X(] (sorry I don't buy into the status symbol crap etc). Horse for courses.

Is an XYZ going to outlast a Zenoah, don't know, probably not, but I'm keen to find out!! And so far I have been very happy with my two pots of rice

Thanks

dave

The only Zenoah that is twice the price of the XYZ 53 twin is the G80.

When you buy a DA you are paying absolute top dollar for old technology. Technology that has been around longer than Zenoah has been in existence. There is nothing technologically new or ground breaking there. Don't believe me? Ask any two cycle engine mechanic. While DLE might be cheaper DA certainly is not. The DLE and DA's are stronger because of the way they ported and have reed valves. Being built specifically for model airplanes they are as light as possible.

Now as far as DLE and DA go they are lighter and more powerful but that is where the similarity ends. While DLE is the king of the hill in Chinese engines they still lack in quality against DA. DLE is cheaper for more reasons than their low wage labor force and lax environmental laws.

Zenoah’s were purpose built heavy and strong as industrial engines for multiple uses. They use a cross flow design for simplicity and longevity. For this reason there are Zenoah’s still flying after 10-15 years.

Why do people keep going back to Zenoah? In most cases it has more to do with than brand loyalty. Their two decade proven track record means something.

Will a Zenoah outlast an XYZ? There is no question but so will a DLE and/or a DA.

I end with a question. Do think guys should stop putting Moki radials in the planes? Don't they know they are spending a kings ransom for 100 year old technology?