RCU Forums - View Single Post - Something better than a HPI trophy truggy?
Old 11-25-2011, 03:01 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Something better than a HPI trophy truggy?

If a truggy is what you like, and you want electric, there are options. Some can be converted very cheaply, but they will still end up being more expensive than a dedicated car. I myself run a Mugen MBX5T converted using hte conversion kit by Tekno RC, and indeed when I run it, everyone around stops and stares, it's an absolute beast on 6S, but imagine, to get an MBX6T from the box to being ready to run on 6S batteries is going to cost you in the region of $800-$900 if you use good quality electronics. If money is not hte main issue, this is indeed the way to go, and yes, you can waterproof stuff to a point, but the speed control will always be a problem if it is a big one with a fan, because it can't be covered. However, it would have to get very wet indeed to stop working, if it was light rain and you used some of that stuff you spray on to protect electronics from water, I doubt you'd have a problem.

With judicious use of grease and sealing tape, you could make the Thunder Tiger quite water resistant, and it doesn't surprise me that you can't find parts locally, Thunder Tiger is far more popular in Europe than it is in the US (marketing strategy of TTR) this is not a reflection on the quality of the cars, which at this level is top notch. The nice thing about the TTR, is that it is an insane basher with the monster tires on 6s, and can easily be run in the truggy racing class by switching to 4s batteries and putting regular size truggy tires on it (maybe a change of motor pinion too, to match the size of track), it really will do 'everything' well, and most importantly, comes with everything you want. A decent servo (not many RTRs can claim this), electrics that can handle 6S, a 2.4 Ghz radio for piece of mind, and they say that you just can't break the thing. Parts are widely available online.

If money was no object, and I was in your position, I would get a Mugen MBX6T, a Tekno V4 brushless conversion kit for the Mugen MBX6T, the Tekin 2000kv truggy RX8 combo, a good servo, a Flysky GT3b radio, and a few 3s batteries (to run in series for 6s mayhem). That would give you one of the best RCs in existence plain and simple, but cost you a very pretty penny. The TTR is almost all of that straight out of the box for half the price, but doesn't really compare to the Mugen in terms of overall model quality, while it's still good.