RCU Forums - View Single Post - NEW!!! Official Traxxas XO-1 1/7 onroad....
Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NEW!!! Official Traxxas XO-1 1/7 onroad....

ORIGINAL: 378

ORIGINAL: MiamizFinest

ORIGINAL: 378

ORIGINAL: MiamizFinest
Not to mention android wouldn't have worked, how many android phones are out there?? how many shapes and sizes are there?? it would have bin IMPOSSIBLE to make a radio with a tray to hold them all, where as apple took a standard size approach.
And I suppose the batteries used by RCs are perfectly standardized in size and shape, right?

I don't buy that as an excuse. Electric RCs have had to have battery trays supporting many shape/size batteries for decades. There is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to not make a phone tray that can accept phones of differing shapes as well, except Apple money.
Correct, and whats the standard in rc battery tray's to size packs into a tray?? Add some foam if the pack is smaller than the tray??? Tighten the velcro strap harder to hold the pack in place??? all fine and dandy FOR A BATTERY. Would you like your android phone held in place with some foam squares??? How about some velcro straps holding it in place??? oh wait how would you see the screen???...... In order for it to WORK with android they'd have to have a specific bracket dedicated to EACH PHONE so the screen is clear and visible NOT TO MENTION TIGHT ON THE RADIO. The production costs to make brackets for each phone would be impractical period.
Wouldn't bother me in the least. My phone's not fragile as hell, and honestly if you're sitting there staring at your phone on the bottom of the radio instead of paying attention to eight pounds of metal and plastic hurtling past at triple digit speeds you don't have any business owning anything more complex than a coloring book. Also, unless you swing the transmitter around like it's a paddle, it doesn't have to be all that tight. Hell it can be in a loose box. Android phones aren't made of pixie dust and graham crackers, they're tough as nails, they can handle rattling around in a slightly oversized tray.

I really don't get why you need a tray for every device out there. You don't. There is no reason to be looking at your phone while piloting a 30MPH car, let alone one that can break the speed limit on the interstate so severely it would get you arrested in a full scale. There is no valid reason, if you need to look at the phone stop the bloody car first.

You know, just like you would in the real thing, and for the same reason. This RC is just as deadly to bystanders as any full-size car, perhaps even moreso due to it's size, quietness and the fact that nobody's going to be expecting an RC to hit them, and if you can't focus on it you shouldn't be driving it. Put the -beep-ing phone down while the car's rolling.

Oh, and using the same foam blocks used for batteries would work just fine, just putting that out there.
Seriously??? First off sure you don't mind you phone held in place with Velcro straps and square foams but i can assure you ur one of few people who feel that way..... when was the last time you stepped into someones car and that had a universal docking tray and was held in place with straps and foam squares??? IT DOESN'T HAPPEN everyone buys a specific tray to there specific phone for that factory look and feel. This radio is no different from that plain and simple. Second your argument that Android phones aren't made from pixie dust and graham crackers.........of course there not BECAUSE ANDROID DOES NOT MAKE PHONES, they make software for phones made by other companies. Mind you just because i own a iphone doesn't mean im a fanatic. There's alot of phones made by samsung, lg, and more that are EXCELLENT for example the EVO is tremendous phone, all the droid models have had excellent success and are great phones all based on the android software BUT GUESS WHAT NOT ALL PHONES ARE BUILT THE SAME dimensions between android phones varies from company to company, plug locations varies from company to company and last but most important, internally some android phones are fantastic and some android phones are crap, my brother had one of the low grade android phones made by lord knows who that would freeze all day long and lagged like hell. With all the different grades of android phones it would be impractical to use them PERIOD. Last but not least who sayed anything about looking down at the radio while driving???? Yes the car giving you speed readings live but who the hell would actually look down??? Hence why the MAIN POINT in this app is data logging. The fact i can check my run after making a run and see the voltage drop, make sure the motor isn't on fire between runs, and be able to adjust the punch control on the fly to compensate for street conditions, plus the tons of other futures included......dude its a huge step forward in RC period.

If you can't see progress in the making then that is too bad for you. Open your eyes guy this opens the gates to other companies to follow suit in advancing there radios as well, for all you know next month JR might release a radio that works with android, and futaba with one that works with iphone or vica verca the point is traxxas had to choose ONE PHONE ONE MP3 player to make the first step and they choose the one with the highest % in the market.